Monday, December 9, 2013

It's Time


Hi everyone, Cortney Smalley here! So I decided to post this video that was assigned to my IGR Dialogue class. The topic is on marriage equality and I believe this commercial/PSA was aired in Australia and other countries around the world. While you watch the video, pay attention to the several different camera angles, the short takes, and explain why the video was constructed this way. Since we spent a great amount of time talking about sexuality in the media, I thought this would be a great way to tie together what we learned in class and how powerful television and the internet can be. Would you consider this video a "first"? Explain your reactions about the film and how do you think others reacted while watching this short clip. Compare and contrast the opinions of others to citizens of this decade to others who were just being introduced to sexuality on television.

1 comment:

  1. To begin with, I felt the construction of the video was very interesting. While watching I assumed it was to just depict time passing. I assumed the role of the man’s girlfriend because the camera lense acted as my eyes. Each cut was like the blink of an eye to go along with the corny saying “life flashes before your eyes.” At the end of the clip, when the viewer finds out the person is a male, it emphasizes the power of media. My cultural lense assumed that the person behind the eye of the camera was a female. That is the norm that has been instilled in me. The fact that I was so shocked at the end of the clip pointed out just how different gay marriage is depicted in my life even though it should not be. I was not shocked as to the fact that the person behind the camera was a male, rather I was shocked at how I had simply assumed it was a female. This video reinstituted just how empowering media is. I am not sure if I would categorize this video as a “first”. The gay rights movement has been a fight for decades. Still, the piece of media created a reaction that made it felt like a first in that it made me think. Even a small video under two minutes can be as powerful as a 30 minute episode of Ellen. Media produces messages that can reach the masses and force people to think.

    ReplyDelete